- Apply online yourself to join your CEC by going to: www.powertotheparents.org
- Tell your PA/PTA Presidents, Secretaries and Treasurers NOT to vote for any charter parents
- Attend the candidate forums beginning next week and make your voice heard that you DO NOT want charter parents on your CEC because charters are not part of the district but are private ed corporations
- Call your Borough President and tell them you will not vote for them next election if they appoint any charter parents to your CEC
- Join the NYC Parents Union in our fight to ensure our kids get a quality education
Education Councils (CECs). We are encouraging parents with an interest in
serving, a passion to advocate, and who have both the charter school and
district school connection to file an application and be a voice for ALL
public school students.
The deadline is April 22.
* Have had children in district schools within the last two years
(please indicate on your application)
serve on CECs unless they meet one of the above two criteria. Under the law
only parents with a child attending a district school, or one who DID attend
a district school within the past two years can serve.
school parents are represented, charter school parents are not. We are
working to fix that! (Remember, you don’t necessarily need to have a child
currently attending a district school, as long as one did within the past
two years you will still fit the criteria.)
Community Education Councils (CECs) are education policy advisory bodies
responsible for providing guidance and input in policy decisions that affect
the local school district. CECs play an essential role in shaping education
policies for the New York City public schools. Each CEC consists of nine
elected parent volunteers who provide hands-on leadership and support for
their community’s public schools. Council members hold meetings at least
every month with the superintendent and the public at-large to discuss the
current state of the schools in the district.
contact me. The information above was taken directly from NYS law regarding
Director, Charter Parents Action Network (CPAN)
111 Broadway, Suite 604, New York, NY 10006
T: 212.437.8317 F: 212.227.